Another great one for meal preppers – make a batch of these at the beginning of the week and you’ll have an easy dinner each night!
Recipe makes 3-5 servings (depends how hungry you are!).
445kcal per serving (based on 3 servings) with macro split 46%C/26%F/21%P. High in protein and fibre and so so satisfying!
• 3-5 large peppers – 1 for each serving
• 10ml olive oil
• 1 onion
• 2 cloves of garlic
• Sprinkle of chopped chillis (to taste)
• 150g chestnut mushrooms
• 280g firm tofu
• 10ml sesame oil
• 25ml soy sauce
• Bulgar Wheat, Green Lentils & Barley Mix (or other grains if you prefer)
• Free-from cheese to top (optional)
1) Preheat the oven to 180c. Chop the lid off the peppers and scoop out the seeds from inside. Place in the dish and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
2) Whilst the peppers are in the oven, in a pan fry the onions and garlic in the olive oil. Once softened, add chillis, chopped mushrooms and tofu and fry for ~5mins.
3) If using pre-prepared grain mix, pour into a big bowl. Otherwise cook grains as per instructions and set aside. Once the oniony tofu mix is cooked, stir into grains with sesame oil and soy sauce.
4) Remove the peppers from the oven and spoon the grain mix into them. If making 5 peppers the mix should be about right; for 3 you may have some leftover to serve alongside.
5) Place the stuffed peppers back in the oven for ~10 minutes. If adding vegan cheese, add this for the last 5 to make a delicious melty mess.