A slight tweak on my delicious vegan banana bread, I wanted to challenge myself to make a recipe without adding any sugar and reducing the oil. All sweetness in this recipe is naturally from the bananas, cinnamon and vanilla. I also substituted some of the flour for ground almonds, and topped with whole almonds for an added crunch. Yum!
142kcal per serving (based on 10 slices) with macro split 47%C/44%F/9%P.
Recipe makes 8-10 slices of delicious bananery heaven.
• 3-4 frozen bananas, defrosted (~280g peeled weight)
• 150g of self-raising flour (I used gluten free flour because I’m a nice housemate)
• 75g ground almonds
• Generous sprinkle of cinnamon, to taste
• Dribble of vanilla flavouring, to taste
• 10ml of vegetable oil (olive works just fine)
• 10g whole almonds to top (optional)
1) Defrost and peel the bananas (instructions for defrosting can be found here).
2) In a large bowl mash the squidgy innards and add cinnamon, oil and vanilla extract. Give mixture a stir.
3) Gradually sieve in the flour, folding it into the wet mix.
4) Mix in ground almonds and give the mixture a good stir to combine into a runny batter.
5) Pour mixture into a grease proof paper lined loaf tin
6) Bake at 200c – after ~15 minutes, check on your masterpiece by sticking a spoon handle in the middle – it should come out clean if done, otherwise add another 10 minutes onto the baking time.
7) Repeat step 6 if necessary – mine took around 15mins in total, but ovens do vary.